Search engine optimisation tips
When it comes to search engine optimisation, there's plenty of advice on the Internet, although much can be conflicting or confusing as sometimes there may not be one simple solution. However. whether you're planning to launch a new website, or have an existing site that is not pulling in enough traffic from prospective customers, there are some basic optimisation tips that you should consider to help improve your search engine rankings:
- Be clear on the objectives for your website. What do you want to achieve? How will your target customers be searching for information? Do you want to attract a high quantity of visits from a broad customer base, or a small number of highly targeted visits? Do you want to draw traffic from worldwide, just in Australia, or within a smaller region?
- To succeed on search engines, consider the keywords and phrases that your potential customers might use to find information about you. It will be vital to get these right as they are central to optimising your website.
- Your website will need to use the Title and Description metatags effectively on each page to ensure that it is targeting the best search terms throughout the site and on each relevant page.
- Above all, content is crucial, providing users with relevant and useful information that will keep them coming back to your site - and written in a way that is search engine friendly.
- Build in a page for links to other relevant websites. This will offer value to your users but more importantly, allows you to build 'link popularity' through reciprocal links, which in turn will help enhance your search engine ranking and create traffic from other websites.
- Choose a web designer that understands your objectives and is not simply keen to demonstrate their skills on the latest web design techniques. Even if your web designer does not offer a full search engine marketing service, they should be aware of how to structure a website and optimise your pages to achieve a good ranking performance. Don't be taken in by the promise of submissions to hundreds of search engines! This can easily be done and it is better to spend the time getting your website right for the top 10 or so main search engines and directories where most of your traffic will come from.
- Don't consider using spamming techniques to improve your ranking as any short-term gain will ultimately lead to long-term loss if your site is blacklisted by the search engines.
- If search engine optimisation is not offered by your web designer, talk to a specialist company such as the web search workshop. We understand the techniques required and keep up-to-date with the changing requirements of the top search tools on the web. We will work closely with you to achieve an effective search engine strategy and our marketing and technical skills will help to generate long-term and targeted traffic to your website.
- And finally, remember that your web design and search engine optimisation should work closely together. Make sure that the content and design gives your potential customers an easy to use, attractive and useful web experience that will keep them coming back. The optimisation of your web pages will then work around your site to help achieve the best results possible.
Find out more about how your site is performing by requesting a FREE website assessment, or contact us for more details about how we can help you improve the visibility of your website on the top search engines and directories.